Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I purchased a baby grand piano about 25 years ago and was…

Customer Question
I purchased a baby...

I purchased a baby grand piano about 25 years ago and was told it was a Wurlitzer made in 1920. I took a friend of mine (owns a music store) to look at it as I am a novice and his comment was that if I didn't buy it, he would. My daughter expressed interest in it and before we part with it, I decided to look into how much it might be worth. I have found 113512 hand written on the piano and am having a problem finding a stamped number. Is this an actual number?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser replied 9 months ago
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

Could you describe mechanical and cosmetic condition as well as how often it is tuned?

Again a novice but for 98 years old I think it is very good

How often do you have it tuned?

2004 according to the business card inside

Thanks for the info. If this is indeed a Wurlitzer, the serial you provided dates it back to 1930. Early pianos are usually not worth as much as new pianos, simply due to the wear that occurs in them both mechanically and cosmetically. This process can be reversed by restoration, which also increases the value of an old piano. Most older pianos are in original condition and priced accordingly.

Wurlitzer was one of the larger American piano companies and was in business until the 1990's. They also made pipe organs and Jukeboxes. Considering the maker, size, description and used piano market today, I would recommend your piano be valued at approximately $1,600-$2,100 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!

Thank you

You're welcome! Please be sure to select a rating. Thanks!