Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I might be acquiring a Waldemar Berlin upright piano,

Customer Question
I might be acquiring...

I might be acquiring a Waldemar Berlin upright piano, elaborately carved case, with two candle holders (presume to read music in the dark). I have not yet played it to determine what condition the internals are in (my wife saw the instrument advertised on our neighborhood shopper). The asking price is $400.00, it us being sold as a furniture piece, not as an instrument. I would buy it as an instrument and would have it restored. Assuming the worst (e.g., rusty strings, worn action / replace dampers, repair pedal action), what is the instrument worth now, and what would you estimate the cost for a restoration? THanks for your help!

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

I might be acquiring a Waldemar Berlin upright piano, elaborately carved case, with two candle holders (presume to read music in the dark). I have not yet played it to determine what condition the internals are in (my wife saw the instrument advertised on our neighborhood shopper). The asking price is $400.00, it us being sold as a furniture piece, not as an instrument. I would buy it as an instrument and would have it restored. Assuming the worst (e.g., rusty strings, worn action / replace dampers, repair pedal action), what is the instrument worth now, and what would you estimate the cost for a restoration? Thanks for your help!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
10/3/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher replied 7 months ago
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser of musical instruments for 28 years, and am the President of the Association of Online Appraisers.

Please ask the seller for the serial number of the piano.

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser