Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I don't have a piano, but I am looking at a Story & console…

Customer Question
I don't have a...

I don't have a piano, but I am looking at a Story & Clark console built in 1974. I am wary of the age, wondering if it is still as good as the older ones. I had a Story and Clark, I loved, it was early 60's and was told that was about that last of the really good Story and Clark pianos built. Is a 1974 year a quality Story and Clark piano?

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

The Story & Clark piano (1974) that I am interested in buying is in a pine cabinet. It is in perfect condition, BUT, since I am looking at it for our church, I need to know the quality is not less because it was post 60's. Can you help me?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
9/28/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

There were thousands of piano builders and it is really difficult to know era of piano building for a particular company is better than another. This is possible for a handful of the better brands, but Story and Clark was always more of an average piano company throughout their history. If you're looking at a console piano (smaller than average) that is over 40 years old, there will always be questions of condition and quality. My best advice is to have a local piano tech come and check it out and advise you on condition and the visible quality of build. This will cost you $100-$150 but can help you feel more confident about your purchase. Check ptg.org to find a registered piano tech near you. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!