Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

1967 Steinway model 45 studio upright serial # 400534. My…

Customer Question
1967 Steinway model 45...

1967 Steinway model 45 studio upright serial # 400534. My mother taught using this piano for 43 years. My dad was a registered tuner and technician, so the interior and exterior are in great shape. Mom has passed and we are donating this instrument and a Kawai Grand to her college music department and need a value for the estate.

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

It had quarterly tunings its entire life.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
9/23/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. replied 10 months ago
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer. It will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** will work on this now and come back to you with the appraisal in about 15 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Based on this piano being in the order of 50 years old, there will be depreciation due to age and usage to take into account.

Generally these instruments have a limited life span of around 60 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. The life of these instruments can often be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Whilst the outside casework condition, and style can have an influence on the value particularly when selling, the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation is the type, standard and age of the internal mechanics.

The equivalent new piano now costs around $30,000.

Based on the information I have and that which you have supplied, your Steinway Studio Piano has a value in the range of $9,000 to $10,000 for a private sale.

I work as an independent qualified expert and spend a considerable amount of time working on questions and responding to Customers. I do not set the values of musical instruments, I report on values generally in the industry, values I have found on similar instruments, taking into account condition and rarity together with my expertise and years of experience. I complete research through my own extensive records, books and other sources to which, as a professional, I have access and I often have to pay for important information in order to complete these appraisals. Therefore may I now ask you to please click on the star rating system at the top of the question to rate my work as an expert (this is not a rating on the value I have given) to complete the process, which means that I receive a percentage payment based on the amount you agreed when you first posted this question. I strive to give a 5 star service. If you need any more help or explanations, I am very happy to continue our discussion on here. Many thanks.