Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

I have a spinet Chickering piano in good condition but have

no place for it in...
I have a spinet Chickering piano in good condition but have no place for it in our home. Purchased in mid-late 50s. What is it worth roughly?
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: No famous people used it. I wrote some of my prettiest pieces on it. I just want to know a good asking price. No one in my family can use it now.
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No
9/21/2017
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

I want to sell this Chickering piano for a reasonable amount. Purchased in mid to late 50s. Spinet. Mahagony. Bench that came with it. Quality sound. What is it worth roughly

Chickering was one of the better piano companies in the nation prior to 1908 when they suffered from financial troubles and had to sell. Quality was marginal after that time. They, like most other American companies, began to produce spinets as a way to stay in business through the depression. Spinets were much cheaper than standard uprights and people who may not be able to afford a big upright could afford a spinet. Today they are no longer made, due primarily to the less than desirable sound quality and key action brought on by the compact case.

In order to place a value on yours, it is important to consider those factors above, as well as the older age of the piano. Pianos are expected to have an average lifespan of 70 years before needing some mechanical refurbishment, so yours is right around that point.

Based on those considerations and taking into account the used piano market, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $500-$750 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thanks!

THank you. 5 stars. I think that is is an upright now that you say that, not a spinet. Any change in selling price?
this is an upright, not spinet. I thank you for your earlier response but what would be a reasonable selling price for CHICKERING UPRIGHT? (MID-LATE 50S)

Sorry about that, I thought your request had mentioned a spinet.

Is this a full upright? 50" or taller?

Just checking back on my earlier reply. Please let me know when able and I can adjust the price range for you.

No evidently a spinet. It is 40" frim floor to top. No phone call needed. Thank you5 stars!

OK, thank you! I see you have said "five stars" but the website needs you to select that star rating and submit to finish this process. If you could take just a moment and do that I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser