Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a 1965 Sohmer 5' Bany Grand, 1965 Sohmer 5' Baby

I have a 1965 Sohmer 5' Bany Grand
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: 1965 Sohmer 5' Baby Grand
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: Serial Number 154964

Hi, I have completed thousands of instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours. *Please ignore phone call offers, I work online only.

Could you describe condition and tuning history?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Excellent like New condition.
Played very little. Purchased used in 1983. Ser #154964

Thanks, I'm looking into this for you now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thx

Sohmer was a N.Y. company and was one of the more well-known American piano companies for quite a while. They were in business until the late 1980's when they were bought and sold to a few other companies. Sohmer pianos are no longer made, though the name might be used on other Asian built pianos.

A 5' baby grand is also called a "petite" baby grand or apartment grand. That just means they are the most compact baby grands on the market and work well in small spaces. The bass note response is generally a bit weaker on these smaller baby grands just due to length of string.

Since your piano is over 50 years old, there is a significant amount of value depreciation to consider. All pianos lose value as they age, due to the natural decline in both mechanical and cosmetic condition. I think, if priced right, this could be a quick seller on the used market (if that is your intent).

Based on the above factors and considering the used market and your description, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $2,900-$3,700 in a private sale. Should you want to sell to a dealer or use a third party, you would likely only receive half of that value, since they would have to make a profit as well. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great thx

Sure! Please be sure to select a positive rating to close us out. Thank you!