Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I am wondering about a 1925 Leonard Upright Piano

Good morning; I am...

Good morning; I am wondering about a 1925 Leonard Upright Piano (philadelphia company) and the price of such an instrument.

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

That last comment was not meant for me, I take it LOL

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

That's all I know about it right now....curious about the price range for this instrument. I have read only a few things online about their quality

9/19/2017
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Hi, are you able to attach some photos showing the inside and out of the piano?
I am asking for a friend and cannot. Just was trying to get a ballpark figure for her.

Thanks for the info. That's no problem, I can be a little more general with my answer.

There were thousands of piano companies around at one time and the early 20th century was when the piano business was booming. That said, today there remain many of these old pianos that were built during that era, so examples hit the used market very frequently. The maker of an old piano is not always as important as the condition. There were a few standout companies which were of the highest quality like Steinway and Chickering, but most others were of average to below average quality and most of these companies didn't last through the depression.

Age is important because pianos are mechanical instruments that wear over time. 70 years is an average lifespan for a piano before usually needing mechanical restoration. Based on the description you provided of your piano and considering the used piano market, I would recommend this 1925 Leonard upright be valued at approximately $200-$500. This range assumes good mechanical condition with no major flaws or cosmetic issues. Final price would be determined by actual condition and local market. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thanks!

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Thanks!