Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I've got a violin with a label inside that says "Garatti…

Hi! I've got a...

Hi! I've got a violin with a label inside that says "Garatti Giuseppe 1950"... can't find much on the web about it.

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I've got a violin with a label inside that says "Garatti Giuseppe 1950"... can't find much on the web about it.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

It's missing 2 fine tuners... and the chin rest.

9/18/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

Hello

Can you send a picture of this?

Glenda

here are a couple of pictures, along with another I have.
Okay... so no phone call. Chat only. Anything of value here?

You have two Violins?

Glenda

two violins. Forget about the 2nd one. Did the pictures come thru okay?

Yes, they did, when I picked this up it was for one violin since you added the second one I will go ahead and give you the value for that one also, normally I do one item per question and always in writing, which I think is best for the client and the appraiser. They price of a 5.00 deposit with balance due after expert responds is excellent on here, normally appraisers get 150.00 an hour in our offices.

Do both of these have the cases with them?

I have cases for both, and 1 bow.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The "Garatti Giuseppe 1950" ( as is ) has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $800.00-950.00, the Schroetter 4/4 Violin Made in Germany -$1***-**-****.00. Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Thank you!
Are there places on the web I can read about these particular violins? I google'd them... but didn't have much luck.

Hello

There are not many, we use paid to access data bases and our personal libraries of references. You can go the local library they have many books on Violins. They are in the musical instrument section.

.

If you do not mind rating this I would appreciate it, this is how we are compensated for our time answering questions. You click the stars at the top of the page or If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.

Glenda

Glenda B.