Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

Just inherited a Steinway upright. Numbers on the inside are…

Just inherited a Steinway...

Just inherited a Steinway upright. Numbers on the inside are R2199. And "accelerated action patented Oct 13, 1931-Feb 25, 1936 design patent # 111101. Needs tuning but otherwise action seems good. Cannot measure height as not in my presence but when I saw it it looked like a standard upright.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?

Piano has been played quite a bit. Light colored wood

Height of piano is 48"
It is not light wood but more of a mahogany color
9/17/2017
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Thanks for your question. Are you able to send any photos of the piano to me? They can be attached here in your reply. Also, you listed several numbers but not the serial number. Could you provide the serial number, found close to the strings?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry, but I do not provide phone services. Please respond to my questions when you’re able.
I am not at same location as piano. I have just been sent pics via text message. Will try to send to you. Do you have a # to send text
No I’m sorry, I can only receive through the site. You’ll have to get them on your computer from your phone then send to me. I also need the serial to find out the age.
Trying to find other numbers and trying to send some pictures
Just sent pics did you get?
No. Make sure you attach them then submit your reply.
Ok, thank you. Please allow me some time to look into this. I hope to have it done in 1-3 hours.
Thank you for your efforts. Am wondering if I should keep or donate. I am a professional flautist and already have an inherited Kimbal grand. Not the best piano. Value maybe $3-4 grand. Need to know if this Steinway is better and will keep instead.
Thank you for your patience. In regard to which is better, the Kimball should give a better sound simply because it is larger. Kimball pianos were decent but their later models were not very good. Either way, a larger piano should always have a bigger and better sound due to size.
That does appear to be a standard or studio upright Steinway. The number beginning with R does appear to be the serial, though the company doesn’t have any which start with letters. I am wondering if it was rebuilt and assigned a new number at some point.
Without the serial I can’t say for sure, but it appears to be from the 1930’s or 40’s based on design. That would mean a significant amount of depreciation. Based on what I can tell of the instrument from the photos and your description, I would recommend a private sale value of approximately $1,800-$2,600. Best wishes!
Please select a rating before leaving—I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me for working with you. Thank you!
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser