Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

We have in herited a beautiful L5510 Majesty roll top organ…

Customer Question
We have in herited...

We have in herited a beautiful L5510 Majesty roll top organ in excellent condition and are wondering what is it worth? My daughter plays the piano and we were also wondering if we might be able to trade it in for a grand piano?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser replied 9 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

.Hi, my name is Glenda,
Thank you for visiting the Just Answer site for your needs, you have gotten a wonderful bargain on your appraisal, the price of a 5.00 deposit with balance due after your appraiser responds is a great deal, normally we appraisers charge on average of 150.00 an hour in our offices.

This is your answer, please read before rating.

Policy: Rating for the Appraiser is for the professionalism of the Appraiser, it is not for the value of the item (Appraisers have no control over values, we do not set values. We simply report them.) Appraisers do not work for the site, we are independent working for ourselves, ratings allow us to continue to work on the site answering customers questions.
.
The L5510 Majesty roll top organ in excellent condition has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $9,500.00-11,000.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $8***-**-****.00 , if this were sold in a High End Shop in a larger city it would sell for $11,000.00 and up depending on the condition. If you decided to sell this I would list it for $11,000.00. It is very possible to trade this in on a piano, you would just need to talk to the piano dealer in your area to see if they do this.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
If you sell it you can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.

They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Musical Instrument Appraiser: Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser replied 9 months ago
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, thank you for your question!

I don't mean to confuse you with another appraiser responding to your inquiry, however my answer is quite different from Glenda's. When pricing Lowrey organs it is important to understand how severely they depreciate in value. Lowrey is the only remaining home organ business in America, and through finance and trade-up programs they have, they are able to get existing owners to turn a small purchase into an eventual large one. Their top-tier organs sell new in the $80,000-$100-000 range. Though, after that, they decline in value at an enormous rate and owners are always surprised to hear the prices of their organs when selling used.

In regard to your organ, I believe you have the model number mixed up from what you typed. The model number for the Majesty organ was LX510 rather than L5510--I'm assuming just a typo. This model was produced at the very end of the 1990's and into the early 2000's. It was not the top of the line Lowrey offering--there were some more expensive full featured organs that had more bells and whistles including a more professional pedal board.

To get more specific, this organ from this era in excellent condition would be worth approximately $2,000-$4,500 depending on how you sold it. While Craigslist and eBay are good places to get information, they are not the only place. Dealers will sell organs for higher prices, though they will pay you less than they sell for as any business does. Here are some examples from Craigslist and eBay.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/msg/d/lowrey-organ/6248153326.html

(note they say dealer said it was worth $6,500)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lowrey+majesty+organ&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=43240-2137&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

(note the two organs here are relisted several times with no buyers, even with a low selling price of under $2,000)

http://www.piano4u.com/Piano/Detail/632

(I called this piano dealer who wouldn't tell me exactly what they sold it for, but approximated $4,000-$6,000. This price includes delivery, which is at least $500 in itself, and a warranty).

I give you those options to back up my appraisal of this organ in the $2,000-$4,500 range. If the dealer sells for $6,000 then he won't give you more than $3,000 for it. Many Lowrey dealers would accept it as a trade in, but likely only on another organ with high margins. A piano dealer may accept it as well, but likely wouldn't give you as much of a trade in value as a Lowrey organ dealer.

If you're looking to sell, I would advise talking to a local piano/organ dealer if you're willing to take $2,000-$3,000 on it. If you want to sell privately, Craigslist is your best option where you can offer it for a few thousand more and have a decent chance of selling it. Unfortunately, I would have to advise against most of the websites listed in your first appraisal. Most of those deal with ANTIQUES only and do not deal at all in keyboard instruments, especially modern electronic instruments. You might also try https://www.churchorgantrader.com/ if you want to appeal to a wider audience (as well as eBay). While this is not technically a church organ, some churches do use these types of instruments and they sell for less than conventional church organs.

I hope this advice is helpful and gives you an idea as to why I priced your instrument this way. Rest assured that my thousands of piano and organ appraisals have given me the knowledge and background to appropriately price your item. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!