Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

Wanting to get some info on an upright piano that has been…

Customer Question
Hi. Wanting to get...

Hi. Wanting to get some info on an upright piano that has been in our family for over 100 years. It's plaque says Rosenberg's Pianoforte Compagnie-Hamburg and was imported by C Winkworthg & Sons in Annandale, Sydney. It has a serial number of 5050.

Expert's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Not at this stage

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
9/13/2017
Musical Instrument Appraiser: John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. replied 8 months ago
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Thanks for your question. My name is John. Welcome to JustAnswer. It will be my pleasure to help you.

I have not been able to find any detailed records for this maker. There is an Edward Rosenberg listed as a piano maker but with no other significant detail. There was also a Concordia Compagnia based in Berlin, Germany in 1869 which may have some association with your piano. The lack of much detail is certainly not unusual. There are literally many thousands of piano makers and many hundreds, if not thousands, of names on fallboards which are not listed.

In the heyday of piano production in the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century the very large piano makers often produced pianos without any name on the fallboard, which is the lid over the keys. This was by agreement, so that much smaller companies and piano shops/dealers could use a Stencil of their own name to apply their name by paint through the Stencil. Thus for all intents and purposes it was a piano made especially for or by them. In practice the same piano was used by hundreds of different companies. These days it is done by having a gold label, or whatever finish you wish, made from a metallic material which has an adhesive back so that you can stick it on. There are companies making 1000's of these Decals so if you are so inclined, you can put your own name on your piano - 'badge engineering'.

Judging by the details you have given that it is a least 100 years old, I assume that it is quite a high piano of some 55 inches or more.

Apart from a very few unique and often rare instruments, pianos are not usually bought as antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are mostly bought as an instrument to be played. Hence they do not necessarily have any great value because they are old and unfortunately they depreciate mechanically with age and usage.

Generally Pianos have a limited life span of around 60 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. The life of these instruments can often be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years, or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. The condition of the finish and location do have some influence on the value of a piano but the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation are the age and condition of the internal mechanics which depreciate with age and usage.

I am assuming from the information you have given in the question, that apart from any repairs and replacements of the internal mechanics associated with tuning completed in the past, the mechanics are as originally built. If you have any details which indicate that it may have had substantial restorative work completed on the internal parts within the last 30 years, please let me know and I can then assess if it changes the appraisal valuation.

Based on the information I have and that which you have supplied, your Upright Piano has a value for Insurance/Replacement purposes of up to 2500 AUD. If you were to sell it you could anticipate attaining about 40% of this which would be up to about 700 AUD for a private sale. There are many similar pianos for sale currently and thus prices are generally lower, so you may only receive offers below this figure.

I work as an independent qualified expert and spend a considerable amount of time working on questions and responding to Customers. I do not set the values of musical instruments, I report on values generally in the industry, values I have found on similar instruments, taking into account condition and rarity together with my expertise and years of experience. I complete research through my own extensive records, books and other sources to which, as a professional, I have access and I often have to pay for important information in order to complete these appraisals. Therefore may I now ask you to please click on the star rating system at the top of the question to rate my work as an expert (this is not a rating on the value I have given) to complete the process, which means that I receive a percentage payment based on the amount you agreed when you first posted this question. I strive to give a 5 star service. If you need any more help or explanations, I am very happy to continue our discussion on here. Many thanks.

Hello again. It seems that you may not have viewed my answer to your question or you have not received the Email to advise you that the appraisal answer is on here waiting for you. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please complete the question process by clicking on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you. John.

John,  CT ABRSM
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.