Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

My wife has a rebuilt 1899 Steinway which was rebuilt by A

Customer Question

My wife has a rebuilt 1899 Steinway B which was rebuilt by A and C piano craft in NYC. We have an appraisal for 55K which is many years old. The piano is probably worth more like 75K now. For insurance purposes we need a new appraisal, and A and C won't provide it without seeing the piano. Our insurance agent suggested getting an online appraisal.
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: All vintage steinways are historical and valuable.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your question. An in person appraisal is best for a piano this old and expensive. If you are selling I would urge you to have one done that way. I'm happy to provide this appraisal online in the interim. Keep in mind however, pianos depreciate in value over time so the price will be much less than you expect. The Steinway name holds weight but all pianos lose value as they age. Would you like me to continue this for you?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry you are wrong, not an expert. This piano has been maintained by registered piano technicians and is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 75K.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want my 5$ back and want to cancel my free trial.
I've appraised literally thousands of pianos. What makes you think it is worth 75k?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we are done here.
Ok no problem. Best of luck.