Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

My violin says Januarius, My violin says Januarius Gagliano

Customer Question

My violin says Januarius
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: My violin says Januarius Gagliano filius Alexandri Neap 1170 inside it
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: My father acquired the violin in the 1930s. My older siblings heard him play it but I never did. But they time I came along all he played was a Baritone. I acquired it about 15 years ago and a friend of mine who played violin took the old strings of his when he put new ones on to see how it sounded. It sounds wonderful. It has a beautiful drk tone. There is a crack behind the bridge that has been unchanged since I got it. It still has the same tone. The crack does not leak.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is Glenda,

This is your answer, please read before rating.

Policy: Rating for the Appraiser is for the professionalism of the Appraiser, it is not for the value of the item (Appraisers have no control over values, we do not set values. We simply report them.) It is not for any issues due to the site policy or procedures. Appraisers do not work for the site, we are independent working for ourselves, ratings allow us to continue to work on the site answering customers questions.
.
TheVviolin labelled Januarius Gagliano filius Alexandri fecit Neap 1170 has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $1***-**-****.00 , if this were sold in a High Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $1850.00 depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $1850.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.