Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

I have a Kimball studio serial number B63996 walnut in great…

I have a Kimball studio...
I have a Kimball studio serial number B63996 walnut in great shape. Do you kniw how old it is or what it may approximately be worth?
8/22/2017
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** am working on this for you now.

The serial number dates your piano to 1963, so it 54 years old and thus will have some depreciation due to age and usage.

Generally pianos have a life in the region of 70 years unless they are restored or rebuilt. This is due to the wear during use and natural deterioration over the years of the mechanical parts, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. Therefore one of the main considerations for any appraisal valuation is the type and standard of the original build mechanics plus their age and condition. I am assuming from the information you have given in the question, that apart from any repairs and replacements of the internal mechanics associated with tuning completed in the past, the mechanics are as originally built. If you have any details which indicate that it may have had substantial restorative work completed on the internal parts within the last 30 years, please let me know and I can then assess if it changes the appraisal valuation.

Based on the information I have and that which you have provided, your Kimball Studio Piano has a value in the $1,000 to $1,500 range for a private sale.

I work as an independent qualified expert and spend a considerable amount of time working on questions and responding to Customers. I do not set the values of musical instruments, I report on values generally in the industry, values I have found on similar instruments, taking into account condition and rarity together with my expertise and years of experience. I complete research through my own extensive records, books and other sources to which, as a professional, I have access and I often have to pay for important information in order to complete these appraisals. Therefore may I now ask you to please click on the star rating system at the top of the question to rate my work as an expert (this is not a rating on the value I have given) to complete the process, which means that I receive a percentage payment based on the amount you agreed when you first posted this question. I strive to give a 5 star service. If you need any more help or explanations, I am very happy to continue our discussion on here. Many thanks.

John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
sir. The insides were rebuilt 13 years ago, new hammers, etc. Thank you for your response. Model number 4243 - does this change the price - understanding it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Piano Turner says it's in excellent shape - good sound board. Thanks again.

Thank you for the information.

Based on the internal mechanics being rebuilt 13 years ago I will adjust my valuation to $1,500 to $2,000. But as you so rightly say, in the current market of so many pianos for sale, as people move more and more into the digital age it may only attract figures lower than this.

Thank you, ***** ***** add a note to say thank you for your payment and positive rating. It was a pleasure to help you. I hope I can be of further assistance to you or your friends and/or colleagues in the future, just put my name, John, at the start of the question and it will come to me. I will now close this question. Best regards. John

John,  CT ABRSM
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.