John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

What is a 1930 Haines brother 5' baby grand worth on good

what is a 1930 Haines brother 5' baby grand worth on good condition
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It has a square rather than rounded back, is slightly under 5' I have owned it for over 50 years and had some action work done on it over the years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: What is the value for a good condition instrument (not needing extensive restoration)?

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** can work on this for you now with a little more information.

When was your piano last tuned?

Apart from the action work you mentioned, are all of the internal mechanics, as far as you know, as originally built?

Could you let me have the serial number please? This is usually inside stamped or written on the wooden sound board, on the iron frame or on the plank near the tuning pins.

Also if you have any pictures, including some of the internal mechanics, which you could attach on here using the +Add button or the paperclip on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was tuned a year ago. In the rebuilding they replaced some hammers and other action items. I do nat hafe access to the piano where I am right now to check the serial number. but the cover says Haines Brother AMPICO HALL and the piano has a rectagular cover under the frame in front of the sound board. I am wodering if it is worth the money have it completely refurbished or not.

Thank you for the information. I will look into this for you and come back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Based on this being dated around 1930, unless it has had a very recent, within the last 10 years, full restoration it will not now have a great deal of value as generally pianos have a life in the region of 70 years unless they are restored or rebuilt. This is due to the wear during use and natural deterioration over the years of the mechanical parts, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. Therefore one of the main considerations for any appraisal valuation is the type and standard of the original build mechanics plus their age and condition. Thus a ballpark valuation for its current value is in the region of $1,500 to $2,500.

The full internal and external restoration cost would be anywhere in the $5,000 to $15,000 region depending on the actual condition and what needs to be repaired and/or replaced during a rebuilding project. As there are many new or nearly new pianos in this price range it is not a project I would recommend, unless the piano had a very long family ownership history and is being completed to hand down to future generations. If you were to sell it soon after restoration it is very unlikely that you would recover the restoration costs.

I can put more detail on to this for you if you can supply the serial number and some pictures over the next days if you wish or if this is sufficient please let me know.

I work as an independent qualified expert and spend a considerable amount of time working on questions and responding to Customers. I do not set the values of musical instruments, I report on values generally in the industry, values I have found on similar instruments, taking into account condition and rarity together with my expertise and years of experience. I complete research through my own extensive records, books and other sources to which, as a professional, I have access and I often have to pay for important information in order to complete these appraisals. Therefore may I now ask you to please click on the star rating system at the top of the question to rate my work as an expert (this is not a rating on the value I have given) to complete the process, which means that I receive a percentage payment based on the amount you agreed when you first posted this question. I strive to give a 5 star service. If you need any more help or explanations, I am very happy to continue our discussion on here. Many thanks.

Hello again, just a note to say thank you for your payment and positive rating. It was a pleasure to help you. If I can be of further assistance to you or your friends and/or colleagues in the future just put my name, John, at the start of the question and it will come to me. I will now close this question. Best regards. John