Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a 1982 kimball baby grand with serial number d34113.

I have a 1982 kimball baby grand with serial number d34113. Is it best to have an appraiser come to my home to appraise it? I am the second owner. When I had it tuned, the tuner told me that the sound board was in excellent condition.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No, it plays well and there are no blemishes. The finish is satin walnut, i believe
Hi. I can either appraise it online or recommend some local appraisers for you. Which would you prefer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
on line please
No problem. I'm working on it now.
Kimball was a large American piano company in business for many years. They finally went out of business in the 1990's. While their earlier pianos were of good quality, later pianos were of much more mediocre quality and were lower priced. For they reason, their pianos do not have the same resale value that other brands do.
There should be no mechanical problems with your piano simply based on age, so I'm not surprised the sound board is fine. It shouldn't really need any work beyond tuning and regulating.
Based on the description of the piano and considering the used market, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $3,900-$4,700 in a private sale. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks a bunch!