Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have a violin. On it's label its written Joseph Guarnerius…

I have a violin...

I have a violin. On it's label its written Joseph Guarnerius fecit/Cremonae anno 1741. Then below it has Czechoslovakia. On the left, there's a picture where we can read schutzmarke KH

Expert's Assistant: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

We know it's not a real Guarnerius. We just wonder where it's from.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?

My great grand father bought it from an old musician in Montreal in the 1920's

8/20/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser

Hello

This is a Czech violin crafted in 1920 at the ateliers of the Schonbach -based violin maker Karl Höfner (1864-1955), who was one of the leading export companies for stringed and plucked instruments of all kinds. The original label with the logo “KH Schutzmarke [trademark] Made in Czechoslovakia” on the inside of the instrument is a reflection of this impressive success which continued even after the Höfners were forced out of the Sudetenland into exile. In 1947 they re-founded their company in Möhrendorf near Erlangen, and in 1951 they moved it to Bubenreuth, where it remains to this day.

Are you wanting a value for this Violin?

Glenda

of course.Elaine

This is your answer, please read before rating.

Policy: Rating for the Appraiser is for the professionalism of the Appraiser, it is not for the value of the item (Appraisers have no control over values, we do not set values. We simply report them.) It is not for any issues due to the site policy or procedures. Appraisers do not work for the site, we are independent working for ourselves, ratings allow us to continue to work on the site answering customers questions.
.
The KH Schutzmarke Made in Czechoslovakia Violin circa: early 1900's has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $700.00-800.00 , if this were sold in a High End Shop in a larger city it would sell for $1000.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $1000.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Wonderful, thank you so much for your answer.Elaine

You are welcome Elaine,

If you do not mind rating this I would really appreciate it, this is the only way we are paid for our time answering on just answer. Just click the stars at the top of the page, if you do not see any stars or any way to rate me please let me know,so I can report that.

.
Glenda,

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer. This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you
Glenda
.

Glenda B.