twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

Im interested in the value of a Baldwin organ, 56A series.

Customer Question

Im interested in the value of a Baldwin organ, 56A series. very good condition.
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Im interested in the value of a Baldwin organ, 56A series. very good condition.
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser of musical instruments for 28 years, and am the President of the Association of Online Appraisers.

How old is your organ? has it been regularly tuned and maintained?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was purchased in 1971 and has not been regularly tuned or maintained. However, it has not been used much.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no. I do not want to pay the xtra $34 since Ive paid $45 already which I did not agree to. I was told it would be $5.00

I'm sorry, but I Don't know what that means.

Experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions.
For such queries, use this link for assistance: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

It sounds as if you were offered a phone call. I usually don't do them because they add an extra charge to your bill and I can answer your question right here at no additional charge. Also, it's difficult to research and speak with you at the same time.

Shall we continue with your appraisal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
let's continue online or email please as long as there is no xtra cost

No extra cost.

Now for your organ:

Old pianos and organs have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting organs; they want to be able to play them. They are not looking for furniture - they are looking for a musical instrument. Organs have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and an organ that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old organs are at a disadvantage in the market.
Organs are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the organ would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition. Add to that the fact that the market in ALL organs is very soft right now, and there is not much good news for your organ.

In its present unrestored condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your Baldwin organ is approximately $750. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $300, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.
I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Judith-on-Antiques

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only credited when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.
Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no additional cost to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this was very helpful - thank you.

Please rate my service now.