Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a baby grand five hands in size built in New York by

Customer Question

I have a baby grand five hands in size built in New York by Sohmer&co Pat. Oct 14 1850 with an agraffe bridge. It has a lovely light fruitwood furniture case. I bought it in 1980 from a concert pianist for the Boston Symphony orchestra who told me it had a crack in the sounding board making it not suitable for professional playing but perfectly fine for my home use.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** can work on this for you now with a little more information.

Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

The picture you attached shows the patent date so to fully date your piano could you let me have the serial number please? This is usually inside stamped or written on the wooden sound board, on the iron frame or on the plank near the tuning pins.

Also if you have any more pictures of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the +Add button or the paperclip on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no other pics that I can send you. The piano has not been tuned or played in many years I have no knowledge of pianos. Do not know where to look for sounding board with serial number. I will be at that home where the piano is next week and maybe can take more pics. Do you at least know anyone near Boston area I can call for an in person visit.