Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I am a realtor and I have a client with a kawai GE 2 grand

Customer Question

I am a realtor and I have a client with a kawai GE 2 grand piano, gloss black finish. it looks to be in very good condition and sounds great. We need to know its value. Its in New Jersey.
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 3 months ago.
Hi, could you provide the serial number or age of the piano?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By the way the serial #2157625
Thanks, ***** ***** into this now

Thanks for your patience!

I found this piano was built in 1993 based on the serial. The GE2 model has been discontinued, though when produced, it was a 5'7" baby grand piano. Since this piano is nearly 25 years old, there will be a significant amount of value depreciation to consider. All pianos wear as they age, and that must be considered when valuing a used piano. Kawai is one of the better brands available in the U.S., and they have built a solid reputation over the years. Their quality and sound are similar to Yamaha's, though they are usually a small bit cheaper than a Yamaha, making them a better value.

Based on the above information you provided about the piano, and figuring depreciation in the used market, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $7,600-$9,000 in a private sale. Price would vary within that range based on actual condition and local selling market. Should you choose to sell to a dealer or involve another 3rd party, expect to get only half of that range or even less. Private sales are your best way to get the most. Best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!

Hi, just checking back to make sure you received my answer. Did you need any more help with this? If not, please be sure to select a positive rating. This is the only way I'm credited by the website for working with you on this. Thank you!