Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

Value of serial #418075 Hobart M Cable upright, What is the

Customer Question

Value of serial #418075 Hobart M Cable upright
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: What is the value of Hobart m cable upright 418075
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It's great condition tuned keys great condition
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your question! What is the height of the piano?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
39

Thanks, I'm looking into this now.

Thank you for your patience! Hobart M. Cable pianos were made into the 1950's but production was later taken over by the Story and Clark company, who made your piano. Based on serial number records for this company, your piano was produced in 1967. At 39" tall this would be considered a spinet piano. Spinets were the smallest type of upright built and were designed out of necessity during the great depression. These low-cost pianos kept many companies in business through tough times, but their quality was far below that of taller uprights. They had shorter strings, smaller soundboards and a drop key action that was necessary for a small case. For these reasons, spinets are no longer made. Most companies make a piano around 43" tall as their smallest offering.

It is important to consider those factors as well as depreciation over time when valuing a piano. All pianos depreciate as they age and wear. Based on those factors as well as the used piano market today, I would recommend a private sale price of approximately $550-$850. If you sell to a dealer or other third party, be prepared to take half of that, maybe less. Most piano dealers will only accept a spinet piano on trade and won't buy them outright. I hope this info helps--best wishes!

Please select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!

Hi, just checking to make sure you received my answer. Do you need any more help with this? If not, please be sure to select a rating before leaving--I aim for five stars! This is how the website credits me, an independent appraiser, for completing this for you. Thank you!