Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a 1894 Steinway upright that has been in the same

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1894 Steinway upright that has been in the same family since it was gifted to them by the Steinway family. What is it worth?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: all keys are original ivory
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Glenda,
I will be happy to help you today.
.
This is your answer please read entirely, if you have no further questions after reading this please rate me.
.
I have been an Appraiser for over 45 years. I have also been an Antique shop owner, buying and selling on the current market.
.
The 1894 Steinway upright Ivory Keys, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $15,000.00-18,500.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. They should be located top right of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert, you can click on that. This is the only way I get credit for my work.

.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.
.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Glenda, how can I tell if my piano can achieve that kind of value? I'm guessing there are more than one upright models from that period. Joe

Joe

Yes, there are more then one upright model. The best way to see exactly what your piano can achieve on the market is to have an appraiser take a look at this in person. It will also be beneficial to document the family gave it to your family. You should be able to locate a local appraiser who can take a look at this for you.

I would contact a music store in your area to see if they can recommend a Piano Appraiser that can take a look at this for you. You would not want a formal appraisal in writing, just someone to see what condition yours is in and what it would sell for in your area. You can sell it online, you just need to be sure the buyer understands it would be a pick up only sell.

.

.
Glenda,
.

.

.