Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a Gibson F-5" fern gold Mandolin made in 1922 and

Customer Question

I have a Gibson F-5 " fern gold Mandolin made in 1922 and signed by Lloyd Loar March 31st 1924. It has gold keys and tail piece. It has the original Virzi tone intact with serial number and tag. It has been professional played by George Winn for the past 45 years. Serial # 76546, Virzi serial # 10108. Im interested in selling it would you know how i could go about this? Or would you know any information that could be useful?
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is Glenda,
I will be happy to help you today.
.
This is your answer please read entirely, if you have no further questions after reading this please rate me. Appraisers are independent, we come to the site to answer questions customers post there. We answer then are rated by the customer for our professionalism to the customer. Once rated we are then compensated by the site for our time, at no cost to the customer.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Gibson F-5 " fern gold Mandolin made in 1922 and signed by Lloyd Loar March 31st 1924 has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $175,000.00-250,000.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.

If you sell to a dealer, you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. They should be located top right of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert, you can click on that. This is the only way I get credit for my work.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.
.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this, so I can get rated, then compensated from the site for my time.
.
At no cost to the customer, so please take a moment to rate this answer.

.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
A Rating is much appreciated
Thank you so much!
Glenda