twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I own a model Steinway piano # 81242 circa 1894. It was

Customer Question

I own a model B Steinway piano # 81242 circa 1894. It was completely rebuilt in 1981 by Acme Piano of Somerville, MA and the action redone by John Von Rohr who maintainsthe pianos for the Boston Symphony, Jor***** *****, Wellesely college, etc.). I am 82 years old and am leaving this instrument to the boarding school I attended in the 1950's. I need to establish its value.
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: I play this piano almost daily. It has a rich tone, the keyboard rebuild by John Von Rohr has gotten it close the Steinway's accelerated action. I play Beethoven and pop standards from days gone by. They sound wonderful.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

If your piano has been regularly tuned and has not yet worn out the previous restoration, and if it is in excellent cosmetic and musical condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your piano is approximately $28,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $11,200, depending on location and actual condition. The fair market value is the amount you can use as the charitable donation on your income taxes.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.
I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only credited when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.
Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no additional cost to you.