Wayne, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  40 yrs. buying and selling instruments.
67223111

Our neighbor has a wm and son cello, Laurel 1919 that she no

our neighbor has a wm Lewis and son cello, Laurel 1919 that she no longer wants. What is a fair price to pay for it as a gift to our granddaughter? It has a hard case as well and looks to be in good condition.
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: no

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising Musical Instruments for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. Please describe the condition of the Cello.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Wayne. Attached are some pictures of the cello. My husband and I do not play the cello so we are not able to judge the quality of sound. It was made in Germany and is a laminate not solid wood. Our granddaughter is 11 and is in her 2nd year of playing the cello. We have promised to buy her a cello. She loves our neighbor who is now in a nursing home. So we would like to know if this would be a good cello to buy for more than sentimental sake and if so what is a fair price.

You are correct that this is a student model. These are selling for $400-600 on the secondhand market. Assuming this is in good playable condition a price of $300-500 would be safe to pay.

Please click on the Stars*****When you read this auction

Thanks,