Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

I have a#34335 Improved meloden by prine & co. pateb, let me

Customer Question
hello! i have a#34335 Improved...
hello! i have a#34335 Improved meloden by prine & co. pateb
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the musical instrument appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: let me try again sorry. I have a #34335 Improved Meloden by Prince & co. patented dec 26th 1846 and in perfect condition and I am trying to sell it. can you help me find out what it is worth
JA: Is there anything else important you think the musical instrument appraiser should know?
Customer: i have pictures i can text to you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
11/17/2016
Musical Instrument Appraiser: Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser

Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay let me know how I can get photos to you if you need it

Do you see the "add files" button?

Hi, sorry about the delay. Something happened to the website and it was down for a bit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did my photos come through?

Yes, I'm looking into this for you now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

The Prince company out of Buffalo was in business from about 1840-1871 and they made pianos and melodeons. Melodeons were the precursor to the reed organ, which was popular in the late 19th to early 20th centuries. There isn't too much of a market for these instruments today and many are often available for sale. This keeps prices low, despite the old age of the instruments. Many people believe that they should be worth a lot simply due to age but the market dictates otherwise.

Yours looks to be in very good condition despite age and that will help some with value. This appraisal assumes ORIGINAL condition, not restored condition. The latter would include full refinishing, restoration and rebuilding of all mechanical parts and repairing all wood.

In original condition, I would recommend a value of approximately $300-$600. In restored condition, I would recommend $1,000-$1,500. Best wishes!

Please select a positive rating before leaving--this is how the site credits me for working with you. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's really odd I looked up this already and top restored condition is at 6500 low bad condition is 2000 I understand you want to make money but come on that's really low ball
Well the above prices are for the US. Are you in a different country? Also, where did you get those prices?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well thanks I guess

I see you are in Canada--the Canadian market could be quite different for an instrument like this, however with close proximity to the US it is possible they could easily get these types of instruments. Canadian prices would be a bit higher just due to the exchange, but I am not able to figure that. Can you tell me where you got the price range you gave me? Perhaps I can help make sense of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very disappointing again I am in California thanks for wasting my money very disappointed

Ok, I'm sorry you don't like my answer but I am trying to help you further. If you don't wish to do so then I understand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's just that you don't have anything correct you would think the public reaches out to you for accurate information that you can't even get my area correct that's the hopefully the easiest thing I apologize but it's just upsetting that they say you know if five dollars and then they want to charge you $48 after they give you an answer and then it's not accurate information I mean it took me literally five minutes to find out basic prices I was trying to find a place that could sell it and then you tell me different prices are completely way off so you can see where I'm coming from I feel that I shouldn't be charged the full $48

I'm not sure how I would know where you're from--all I can see at first is the price, which is different than normal, indicating a different country. Now it says you are from Canada. So I can't do anything about that. I'm sorry you feel my prices are not accurate, but that's only your opinion. I've appraised thousands of keyboard instruments. You're welcome to request a refund and attempt to sell this instrument for $6,000. That is well above what it is worth, especially considering the hundreds of thousands of them produced by the Prince company. Best wishes.

Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser