Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a baby grand piano that i want to sell.It still has

Customer Question

I have a baby grand piano that i want to sell.It still has the original ivory on the keys.Does that make it more valuable?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: The piano is a lyon and Healy the piano teacher that used to come to our house told me to be careful about repair people that they may try to replace the ivory with plastic.
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: the only thing done to it is tuning, the finish is dark walnut and a bench came with it. I'm the second owner and we bought it 44 years ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** to JustAnswer and it will be my pleasure to help you.

To do this, could you let me have the serial number of your piano please? This is often inside stamped or written on the wooden sound board, iron frame (the harp) or on the plank near the tuning pins.

Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? When was the last tuning?

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

When I have this information I will come back to you.

Hello again. It looks like you have not viewed my information request - it could be that you did not receive the Email to advise you that the information request is on here waiting for you. So I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. Thank you. John.