Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a Chickering baby grand Ampico piano which I am

Customer Question

I have a Chickering baby grand Ampico piano which I am shipping to have the player restored. I would like to know the value before and after restoration. The serial number is ***** and has a brass piece marked Chickring & Sons Centennial Grand 1823-1923. Thanks
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. You're only having the player restored? No other part of the piano?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the piano is the original mahogany and it is tuned on a regular basis

Thanks for the information. This piano was built in 1922 based on the provided serial. It is important to know that Chickering was sold in 1908 to the American Piano Co. (Ampico) as they had been suffering financial difficulties. Pianos built after this time were not considered as good as those built before it. Usually a piano this old needs full restoration, including a rebuild of the piano's action. Rebuilding only the player does not add a tremendous amount of value if you were to sell. You must also consider that the player piano market is small these days. Most buyers looking for a piano from this era are looking for one which is in good overall condition, not necessarily with a restored player.

Based on the provided information, I would recommend a selling range as-is of $2,000-$2,800 and after restoration of the player at $2,500-$3,200. Best wishes!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response - I have left a message with the person who did the restoration on the piano 30 years ago and will possibly do another restoration. I appreciate you mentioning that the piano's action needs to be rebuilt. I will get back to you when I hear from him

Well if it was rebuilt 30 years ago then it probably doesn't need to be again. I wasn't aware of that. I hope you have gotten the info you seek. Please be sure to select a positive rating so I am credited for working with you. Should you wish to come back and reply to me again later, you can do so at no charge.