Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

My mother has a wm.knabe piano that her mother bought her in

Customer Question

My mother has a wm.knabe piano that her mother bought her in 1954. The outer wood is mahogany and has the original hammers. It was purchased @ $1,195. It is an original metropolitan opera wm knabe piano.
Can you provide me with a quote of todays price?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Is this an upright or grand? If upright, what is the height? Was it bought new in 1954?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an upright, I'm not sure if it was bought new or not, It has been in the family for over 50 years.
OK. Please tell me the height of the piano. Also, please tell me the serial from inside near the strings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial # ***** not available at the strings or hammers. It read original metropolitan opera since 1926. Unable to pull piano out from wall.
What about the height?
Did you request a phone call? I'm not able to make one right now.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still here! So is it possible to get a price? Although, I don't have all information needed?
Do you not have the height? If you can't measure it, can you attach a photo of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the height is 3 1/2 to 4ft tall with detached original bench
Which one of these does it resemble most in height?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first one resembles my mothers piano
OK, thanks. I need to know that info because a piano's price is dependent upon it's height. The taller, the piano, the better the price. So your piano most resembles the full upright piano, which would mean it is 48" or taller. Since you don't have the serial I will have to use the date of 1954. Almost all Knabe pianos had some mention of the Met Opera. That's because for a while that opera exclusively used Knabes. Your piano wasn't one that was used, it just has that company affiliation. Annual tuning is highly recommended so lack of regular maintenance is a consideration as are the sticking keys in the high register. Based on this information and the used piano market, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $700-$1,000 in a private sale. Best wishes!Please select a positive rating at the top before leaving--this is the only way I'm credited for working with you. Thanks!
Hi, just checking back. You've viewed my answer but not selected a rating. Please take just a second to select a rating so I am credited for working with you. Thanks!