Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

Mine says "JANUARIUS GAGLIANO FILIUS ALEXANDRI FECIT NEAP.

Customer Question
Mine says "JANUARIUS GAGLIANO FILIUS ALEXANDRI...
Mine says
"JANUARIUS GAGLIANO FILIUS ALEXANDRI FECIT NEAP. 1732" So it must be a copy but there is nothing else written inside. Bought by my grandfather for my father in the 30s. My dad was in the NYU university orchestra so it must have been a notch up from a starter student model
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
4/15/2016
Musical Instrument Appraiser: twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher replied 1 year ago
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.Gennaro Gagliano (1730 - 1780) was a member of a well-known family of luthiers.Your violin is a copy of one of his models. The date on the label indicates that he would have been two years old when it was made.It's a workshop copy made in a factory in Germany around the turn of the 20th century. These were turned out by the thousands, primarily for export, and ae still cnosdered to be good student instruments today (not for concert soloists). Close to 100% of high school and university orchestras used these copies. If your violin is in very good condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $400, depending on location and actual condition. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.Thank you so much!
twinb1201
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher