Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

I just finished reading your estimated appraisal of a Haddorff

Customer Question
Veritchord serial number 119305....
I just finished reading your estimated appraisal of a Haddorff Veritchord serial number 119305. I was SHOCKED to see your appraisal of approximately $5,000!!! Did i read that correctly... I was about to list mine for $800.
MY Vertichord is serial # ***** I do not know how old it is, but it plays well, except the lower notes where the hammers strike the bass strings to the left of the Haddorff insignia. Action is good, and keys are good, with only one chip. Black keys are worn. I can send you pictures to your email if you like. It has not been tuned in at least 10 years, and not had any reconditioning inside, but I did clean it all out insides about 4 years ago. The outside is pretty good shape but does have some scratches in the wood. A little reconditioning would restore the natural beauty quite well. So please let me know what you think. Craigslist, $800? or Piano collector, $5,000? haha
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
4/11/2016
Musical Instrument Appraiser: John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. replied 1 year ago
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. The previous appraisal was in January 2014 so well over 2 years ago. Since then I am sorry to say that the market for uprights has become quite depressed. Apart from there now being plenty of cheaper new ones made in the Far East, there are also many second-hand pianos on the market and more and more are being put into the market place as people sell them to make space, inherit them and have no use for them, or simply they are moving on to newer technology. Thus the prices obtained for these older pianos have now decreased quite significantly. I find that I am having to say to people that “I am sorry that it is not better news” Customers often see the prices of some of the more unique pianos on such websites as the Antiques Piano Shop and are very disappointed that their similar family heirloom is now not worth a high four or five figure sum. From the pictures of the one assessed in 2014 and the details provided, it was evident that until the recent times as of then, it had been very well cared for and regularly tuned and maintained. The casework and mechanics were in particularly good condition, thus it had not depreciated as much as some pianos do due to age and usage. Added to this the Haddorff Vertichord was quite an innovation in its day and in technical journals it is described thus:- ‘One of Haddorff's most famous contributions to the piano industry was their introduction of the Vertichord’. However, more and more of these and similar pianos are being ‘found’ and are for sale. In that appraisal it was stated “Don’t be surprised if you only receive offers much lower”. In conclusion I will give you a valuation for your piano now. The serial number for your piano gives a build date of 1940. I assume that it is some 46 inches high and is classed as a Studio Upright Piano size. The styling for its day was quite modern and does not look out of place alongside more recent pianos. With the stringing system the sound produced for its size will be quite full and strong. Pianos which have not been tuned for some years can be at a disadvantage when selling. So based on your piano being in the order of 76 years old and good to average condition, I believe it now has a value in the $1,200 to $1,600 range. I would suggest advertising it for $1750 and that will give you plenty of room to accept offers. But again in this often difficult market for upright pianos, because of the numbers of similar pianos for sale, you may only receive offers below the range I have given. I hope that helps. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me. John
Hello again. Thanks for the extra information and the pictures. I have looked at the pictures in detail and I think the price range I have given is still about right. There can be differences in prices depending on the locality but I think it would come within the price range I have now given you, particularly bearing in mind that you may only receive offers below the price range and it will be up to you if you accept them or not - you can always come down from an advertised price but you cannot go up. Best regards. John
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you receive the pictures?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And my question.
Hello, I believe I answered your additional questions yesterday just below your pictures and your questions, if for some technical reason, you are not able to see it I will repeat it here in bold:- Hello again. Thanks for the extra information and the pictures. I have looked at the pictures in detail and I think the price range I have given is still about right. There can be differences in prices depending on the locality but I think it would come within the price range I have now given you, particularly bearing in mind that you may only receive offers below the price range and it will be up to you if you accept them or not - you can always come down from an advertised price but you cannot go up. Best regards. John Please let me know if you can now see my messages. Many thanks. John
Hello again. I am contacting you again because we have been having some technical issues with the website notifications, so as I have not heard from you, I am just checking back with you again should you need any further help with this question. I would be grateful if you could please let me know. Many thanks. John.
Just checking back again as I have not heard from you and in case you have not received the messages. I am very happy to continue this discussion if you need any more information but if not, I would be most grateful if you could complete the answer process and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top . Many thanks. John
John,  CT ABRSM
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.