twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have an upright Schiller-Cable Piano 3-30-26 and #297950.

Customer Question

I have an upright Schiller-Cable Piano PAT 3-30-26 and #297950.
Furthest back I can figure is when it was tuned in 1942 (sticker on piano bench lid).
I think it's from the 30's, although ... is the PAT number date of manufacture?
Thanks for any help,
Mike Mahony
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

The serial number indicates that your piano was built in 1930. The patent date indicates that the piano could have been built no earlier than its date.

Your piano has not been regularly tuned and I'm assuming it has had no recent internal restoration. Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market, even when they look pretty good one the outside.

In un restored condition, your piano has a current retail (replacement or insurance) value of approximately $500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $200, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Mike.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.