Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

Have chance to get cost - 1930 Steinert baby grand with bass

Customer Question

Have chance to get for no cost - 1930 Steinert baby grand with bass strings and pegs replaced. Needs treble strings replaced with pegs which are slightly loose. Case is dark- grain of mahogany not showing. Should I put 2500 dollars into it? Sound is great - tiny cracking sound board not causing buzzing
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. These old pianos can be money pits. On one hand, it's good that some of the work has already been done, on the other hand, if the soundboard needs to be replaced, you could be looking at much more than $2,500. The piano in its current shape would be worth in the neighborhood of $1,500-$2,000 so you wouldn't be too far off putting about that much into it. I would recommend having an independent piano technician come out and look at it to tell you if any other repairs are needed and if the soundboard may have any significant issues. If you're planning to keep and enjoy the piano then that's great, but if you're looking at this as an investment opportunity, I would caution against that. The potential to lose money on a piano sale is very high, especially for old pianos. Best of luck!

Please select a positive rating (3 stars or better) before leaving--this is the only way I am credited for working with you. Thanks!