John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a 1925 Wellington piano in good shape. What is it's

Customer Question

I have a 1925 Wellington piano in good shape. What is it's worth?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question Kathy. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

I am assuming that this is an Upright Piano, is that correct? Do you have a serial number? Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial #264562...has not been tuned or played for a few years...no replacement parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry... 263562

Is it a 'tallish' Upright?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is black in color.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help me?

Thank you for your patience Kathy.

Thank you for the information. I can confirm that you are correct and the serial number records give a year of build of 1925, so your piano is around 90 years old.

Apart from a very few unique and rare instruments, pianos and are not usually bought as antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are bought to be played.

Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings and the tuning pins/pin block over time. The life can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning and restoration or a full rebuild. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age, type and condition of all of the major parts of the internal mechanics.

Pianos which have not often been tuned or not tuned for many years can be at a major disadvantage in the market place when selling. There are also still a great many similar pianos in circulation therefore the price obtained when selling can be low in a market place which is becoming increasingly less interested in upright pianos.

Therefore based on the information I now have, I believe your 1925 Wellington Upright Piano has a value in the region of $200 to $500 in a private sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Hello again Kathy. It seems that you may not have viewed my answer to your question or you have not received the Email to advise you that the appraisal answer is on here waiting for you. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please complete the question process by clicking on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you. John.