Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

I have an antique player pump organ that has a special back,

Customer Question
open the back - align...
I have an antique player pump organ that has a special back, open the back - align it properly to piano, and the organ also plays the piano. An instrumental duet.
What is it's approximate worth. The bellow would need repair and I have only one music roll. But those can be purchased. It also has a bench.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2016
Musical Instrument Appraiser: twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher replied 2 years ago
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher

Hi Pamela,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Who is the manufacturer of this organ? What is the serial number?

I am sorry that it took me so long to reply. A family crisis came up. I am attaching pictures. We found a black metal plate under the music roll. it says Angelus Patented The Wilcox & White Co. Sole Mfrs. Meriden, Conn USA , The plate in the back which we vaguely remember having the serial number on it is missing. We found some paperwork that has a serial number written on it. It is: ISBN 0-911572-45-7. This paperwork also says that this is a Reed Organ and that the Estey company stamps sequential numbers into the wood of each instrument. We found the #714 stamped into the wood. Some of this paperwork has diagrams of how to us this organ and how to use the piano part. It also has a table on how to correctly position it to different height pianos. This paperwork also calls this : "The Angelus Piano Player" 65 Note Compass Orchestral, With Reeds. And then it goes on to describe it more. This organ has been sitting unused for decades. So I imagine that the bellows will probably need attention. I have the bench, but the music rolls went missing before we acquired it.
I would like to know the value of this organ so that I can sell it. If you happen to know someone that would be interested in this unique musical instrument, please pass on my contact information. I live in Colorado.
***** *****
719 (###) ###-####**@******.***
Thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.
Pam

Hi Pam,

So sorry to hear about your family crisis and I hope everything was resolved to your satisfaction.

The ISBN (international Standard Book Number) number you found is the number for the book that came with your organ. It is Gellerman's International Reed Organ Atlas, and was published in 1985, much later than the organ was built.

Wilcox and White began producing this instrument after 1920, so it is no older than that.

Based on your photo, this organ is in rough shape. I doubt it is fully functional, and you already pointed out that the bellows would have to be replaced.

Old pianos and organs have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting them; they want to be able to play them. Pianos and organs have parts that wear out and must be replaced. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.

In this condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of this organ is approximately $800. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $320, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Pat.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.

twinb1201
twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher