twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

Heitzman upright serial#32205. beautiful condition. I want

Customer Question

heitzman upright serial#32205. beautiful condition. I want to donate to the music department of a christian school. I need to know the value.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Diann,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Do you mean Heintzman? Or Heitzmann?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heintzman - sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heintzman
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

The serial number indicates that your piano was built in 1907. Has it had regular tuning? Has it had any internal restoration?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has always been well maintained. Came from a musician and in later life a piano teacher then left to my mother who was like a daughter. My mother had it regularly tuned and used it. It was left to me when my mother passed away 3 years ago and has not been tuned in that time. The school will have it tuned. It is really a beautiful instrument but I have a baby grand in my home and can,t use it. I'm only giving it to the school because I want it to continue to be needed and used The music leader is a pianist and appreciates it's value to the school.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.

That being said, if your piano is in excellent condition, both cosmetically and operationally, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,500. The fair market (private sale or auction) value is approximately 40% of the retail amount or $600. This is the figure the IRS uses for deductions.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Diann.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!