Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a 1936 Steinway baby grand (black) and I am looking

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 1936 Steinway baby grand (black) and I am looking to sell it... It hasn't been played in forever and it needs turning and some work... there is also a gouge on the top. Can you give me a rough estimate of what you think it might be worth? Ballpark?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. Can you tell me if this is a model S (5'1") or model M (5'7")?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was mistaken... It is a 1934 Model M
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been looking at prices online and they are all over the map!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says "Ebonized" and the serial number is *****

Hi, I have received your information and am looking into this for you now.

Thanks for your patience. The model M is one of the more popular sizes in the Steinway line up. Steinway pianos hold value better than probably any other builder, but like any piano, they decline in value as they age and the parts wear. Based on your description of condition, it sounds like your piano would be in below average condition compared to others of the same vintage. Considering the used piano market and your description, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $7,000-$8,500 in a private sale. Best wishes!

What happens next? You have paid the website but the website doesn't pay me until you select a positive rating. Please do that before leaving so I am paid for my work. Thanks!

Hi, I notice you've viewed my answer but not yet selected a rating. Please take just a quick moment to select a star rating at the top--this is the only way I am credited for working with you and it really helps me out. Thanks!