Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get musical instrument appraisals from Experts

Serial # 38070 Boston MA year 1904 or 1906 last one restored…

Customer Question
Serial # ***** Boston MA...
Serial # ***** Boston MA year 1904 or 1906 last one restored sold for $18,000 been a while since it has been tuned , no repairs so far and measures 5 ft 5 inches and bench is 14 inches and slides under... What would be the best options for selling price suggestions if I wanted to sell my piano?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
1/31/2016
Musical Instrument Appraiser: John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. replied 2 years ago
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

At the moment I am unable to trace the serial number in the records, how exactly is the name stated on the lid over the keys? Does yours have a B in front of the number?

You mentioned that it has been a while since it was tuned - when was that, and prior to that, was it regularly tuned and maintained? You also mentioned 'no repairs', does that mean that none of the internal mechanics have been replaced or restored over the years so is it all still as originally built please?

If you are able to attach any photos using the paperclip on the menu bar, particularly of the internal mechanics and the serial number, etc., that would be very helpful.

It has not been used the past 10 years but before that it was regularly maintained. And everything is original as far as I am aware
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you for the information and pictures Nicole.

Your Baby Grand Piano was made by the Everett Piano Co which was established in Boston in 1883.

In the records the serial number 38070 gives the year of build as 1906, so your piano is around 110 years old.

Apart from a very few unique and rare instruments, pianos are not usually bought as antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are bought to be played.

Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years, mainly due to the wear during use and particularly due to the natural deterioration of the major mechanical parts such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc., over time. This can be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation on a piano is the age and condition of the internal mechanics. The outside caseworks looks to have been refinished at some point over the years.

Based on the information I have on this Everett Baby Grand Piano dated 1906 and judging from the photographs the internal mechanics are as originally built (as you stated), I believe it has a value for a private sale in the $1,500 to $2,000 range. You mentioned a figure of $18,000 in your question which I am assuming was for a totally restored/re-built piano. As it costs many thousands of dollars to carry out such a total re-build I would not suggest doing it unless you intend to keep it for a long time as a family heirloom. Selling it immediately after such work has been completed could result in a loss for you - the only way a 'restored' piano gives a return on investment is when the work is completed by a restoration company at cost and they can then make a profit when the piano is sold, even then it can be a risky investment and can be a long waiting game!

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Hello again Nicole. It seems that you may not have viewed my answer to your question or you have not received the Email to advise you that the appraisal answer is on here waiting for you. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please complete the question process by clicking on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you.