Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

I have an upright schleicher piano that I am holding friend

Customer Question
I have an upright schleicher...
I have an upright schleicher piano that I am holding for a friend in nyc. Someone painted the piano yrs. Ago with a waterbased blue paint. Not sure what yr. It is but am curious more than anything of what this piano is worth. It does sound really good for its she.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
1/6/2016
Musical Instrument Appraiser: John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. replied 1 year ago
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

Can I ask you to check the spelling of the name on the piano as there are not any records for Schieicher. Is there a serial number and what is the height measured from the floor to the top of the closed top lid. Do you know if it has been regularly tuned please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a schleicher piano serial number 231066 aporx height 31/2feet high 36 keys. Needs some tuning but remarkably very little
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you receive serial number and proper name schleicher??

Thank you, ***** ***** completing the research on this for you now and will come back to you in about 30 minutes.

Thank you for your patience Chris. I have found 3 makers with various versions of the Schleicher name but only one with some details, although they are very basic records. The serial numbers stop at in 1931 with the number 95900 being the first number in that year so not near 231066.

It seems that they may have had a relationship with the Lester Piano Company and the serial number 231066 would date this piano in their records to 1953, so it is around 63 years old. This would fit in with the height of around 40 inches and it would be classed as a spinet piano.

This size of piano is now no longer made because the smaller size restricted the soundboard that could be fitted and thus the sound tends to also be restricted.

Pianos have a life of around 60 years due to the 'wear and tear' during use and the natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time. This can be extended by regular tuning and maintenance and extensive restoration and/or re-building of the internal mechanics. The external finish whilst it may detract from or add to the sales potential of this piano does not affect the value a great deal.

Based on this piano being as originally built mechanically it will now have a value in the $400 to $600 range for a private sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Just adding that I am ready to be rated

Hello again Chris. I see that you have viewed my answer to your question but not yet followed up on the question process. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please click on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you.

John,  CT ABRSM
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.