Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

Knabe 1864 #7885 baby grand tiger stripe mahogany cabinet is

Customer Question

Knabe 1864 #7885 baby grand tiger stripe mahogany cabinet is excellent. Ivory keys replaced 1950's. Regular model light action. Just tuned and had some back check adjustements. I am motivated to sell what would a start point be?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any photos of it you can attach?

Hi, I've not received a reply from you. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to send photo the piano is 5'2"

Hi, thanks for your reply. Only one photo came through. You have to attach them individually. Sorry for the late response, for some reason the site is not sending notifications of replies in a timely manner. I have reported the issue.

Hi, are you still wanting help with this? If so, please attach the other photos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try 3 at a time. Let me know if they come through.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** came through. Are there others? Also, it is unlikely this is a piano dating all the way from 1864. Could you check for the serial again? Should be near the tuning pins on the metal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attempting to send remainder of photos. Also I bought the piano from the original owner family in Baltimore. I hope you are able to receive these photo. Let me know if you need more information. Sincerely, Harold
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There should be a picture of the serial number in the photos I sent.

Hi Harold, no serial is shown and only four photos came through, some as duplicates. Since you have so many, perhaps you could upload them to imgur.com and then post the photo links here? That might be easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2
More coming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need other photos and I will send. What I just sent is the William Knabe name above keys, decal on top of sound board and the serial number.

Ok. One was received. The one that shows the serial--it appears there is another number before the 7. Can you check? This piano is much newer than 1860's and was likely built post-1900 so a four digit serial is not correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a wood screw head before the 7 and another screw head after the 5 . Four more screw heads appear going equal distance apart that ends at the far right for a total of six. Is there any other areas that I could look at to help?

The serial should be near the tuning pins and strings and would likely be a five or six digit number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8/8
Please notify me regarding receipt of 8 photos each sent in separate emails.

Thanks for the photos. Since that number is ***** multiple places then it may be the serial, though the piano looks to be much newer in design and condition so I am confused a bit. Based on the assumed age and condition I would recommend a selling range of approximately $1,500-$2,500 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Hi Lucy--did you need more help with this? If not, please select a rating at the top to close us out. This is the only way I'm credited for the large amount of time spent working on your question.