Musical Instrument Appraisal

Get Musical Instrument Appraisal from Experts

Musical Instrument Appraisal

How much is an Aeolian upright bought new around 1985-89.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
11/27/2015
Musical Instrument Appraiser: John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. replied 2 years ago
John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience: Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. Until I have completed the answer for you please be sure not to click on any of the star rating or payment buttons. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process later.

Do you have the serial number please which is usually on or near the iron frame by the tuning pins just inside the top of the piano. Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

The only number I see is 36FZ on the last key. On the metal frame we see a placard with AEOLIAN but no numbers. If this isn't it where else might it be? Unfortunately it has not been regularly tuned, the last tuning was 2006 and it hasn't been played hardly at all.

Please have a look at this website which should help:- www.pianoatlas.com/serial.html
Piano manufacturers place serial numbers in a variety of places. Pianos often have numbers other than serial numbers, such as case and part numbers. Please try this site and it should open showing you the places to find the right serial number. Thanks.

Ok we found it, 165138.

Thank you for the information.

Aeolian was a company that owned a multitude of different piano manufacturing companies. So to track this maker down is not easy unless there is another name somewhere on or inside the piano. I have researched through quite a number of the makers and the nearest I have come to the number 165138 is that it would have been built by The Baldwin Company in 1964.

You have stated that your piano was bought new in 1985- 89, is it possible that it was bought 20 years earlier? Age is quite an important part of a valuation.

Also is the overall height measured from the floor to the top around 36 inches or taller as this will help. Could there be an additional number in the serial number making it a 7 digit number as this may give a different maker? Sorry to ask these additional questions but I would like to fully complete this appraisal for you.

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser