Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

What would be the approx value of a 1925ish bauer grand

Customer Question

What would be the approx value of a 1925ish bauer grand piano in very good condition.Body was refinished, new keyboard. would need new hammers to complete refurbishing.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. Are you interested in knowing a value for the piano once the work is completed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not planning on investing any additional funds into a total restoration. My piano tuner suggested that new hammers would improve the quality of the instrument. I'm planning on downsizing soon and was just curious as to the approx value. I may or may not decide to sell. There is nothing wrong with the piano in the condition it is in. It plays fine and is a beautiful instrument. I've already invested $4,000.00 into the work already completed and don't want to put additional funds into additional improvements. I am just curious as to an approx value. Info that may help: The piano is 5ft. 6in. long, I also have the matching piano bench that is in excellent condition and would be included.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can be reached at(###) ###-####if you feel talking to me for more info would be helpful. Bob Edel

Thanks for the info. Do you have photos you can attach here so I can see the current condition? If so, please also include photos showing the inside strings, pins, hammers area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any photos of the piano and would have to have someone come in to take pictures you're requesting. The exterior of the piano is like new. The Walter Piano Company in Elkhart, Indiana refinished the piano about ten years ago as well as installing the new keyboard. The pins all seem to be straight and in good condition. Only one string has ever been replaced by the tuner about five years ago. The felt pads on the hammers are the most worn part of the piano and have been shaved by the tuner as needed. I have never had any issues with keys sticking. I realize it is difficult to determine a value without seeing the piano. I was only interested in an approx value. If you are not comfortable providing a value I understand. We can consider this a failed attempt at coming to a conclusion. If there is something I need to do to complete this transaction so your payment can be made please let me know. Thanks for your time.

No problem. Please allow some time for me to complete a value for you.

Thanks for your patience. I understand you have put $4k into this piano, but as is often the case, you don't always get a complete return on your investment. The work you have had done is not worth that much money in my opinion. I think if you could get out of the piano for what you paid for the work you would be in good shape. I would value it at approximately $3,200-$4,000. Best wishes!