Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a real old violin and want to get it appraised, But

Customer Question

I have a real old violin and want to get it appraised , But when I tell them what the label reads they kinda laugh and say fake. Well I've done some research on the looks , the wood , the labels and the color of them , and compared pics of originals to this one. I know nothing about violins but it looks like a pretty good match. The label reads--- Antonius, et Hieronimus Fr, Amati Cremonen. Andre fil ; F. 1600 --- I understand that it's almost imposable for one of the Families violin to surface this day and age . I couldn't believe what it said myself. What's the first step to get an expert to look at it ? I can't find anyone that shows interest. Appreciate the help. Roger
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Roger,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

From the information you posted, my conclusion is that you violin is a copy. But, only a personal examination can determine conclusively whether or not your violin is an original.

If you can tell me the nearest large city to you, I can try to find an expert to examine the violin for you.