Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I am looking at a 1917 Pease Co baby grand piano. The pedal

Customer Question

I am looking at a 1917 Pease Co baby grand piano. The pedal assembly is loose (the rods are missing the top leather caps), which I think would be inexpensive to fix. 2 keys will need service as they don't strike solidly. The pads and soundboard are good. The condition of the cabinet is better than I expected. Dark-stained Mahogany. One 2" piece of veneer is gone, but the remainder merely has some scrapes and scratches that Old English or other wood touch up should cover.
The piano has always been inside a home and played periodically. It has never been serviced (only tuned).
I'd like to know if Pease manufactured good, high quality pianos (the sound is good), any other comments you have, and the estimated value.
Thanks for you help. Pat
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question. Like most other American builders, Pease has long been out of business. As to their quality, I haven't come across one personally. They aren't on the unofficial list of the top 25 builders from that era but most builders weren't. There were hundreds upon hundreds of American piano companies prior to the Great Depression. As to the quality originally, that isn't so important now as your piano is almost 100 years old and has lost most of its value. For it to regain any value you would have to have it rebuilt and restored and I don't usually recommend that. As described, I would recommend a private sale value of approximately $1,200-$2,000 assuming regular tuning. Best wishes!