Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I've just taken possession of an upright Beale piano that

Customer Question

Hi, I've just taken possession of an upright Beale piano that has been in my family for 35+ years. As I'm into antique furniture I'm keen to know it's age. The only number I can find, not in the usual places you point out, is stamped on the timber at the bottom rear of the piano. The number is ***** which seems to pre-date the listed serial numbers. Any ideas? Cheers, Ged
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. Please do not click ACCEPT/FEEDBACK until you have an answer/valuation.
This number you have given would date your piano to around 1900 based on an extrapolation of the numbers recorded, but it could be that this number is ***** case number. For an early piano such as this, there should be a number stamped into the wrest plank (the pin block) or printed on it in some form above or very near to the tuning pins. Unless the piano has undergone a major rebuild during its life and then unfortunately the number may have been lost. I take it that you have looked at this website:-
www.pianoatlas.com/serial.html
Piano manufacturers place serial numbers in a variety of places. Pianos often have numbers other than serial numbers, such as case and part numbers. Please try this site and it should open showing you the places to find the numbers.
If you still cannot find any other number, could you send me some pictures of your piano both outside and, particularly inside with the various covering boards removed and I should be able to give you a general idea of the date of build and age.
Please attach pictures to the reply section on here using the paperclip on the menu bar.
It can be a bit tricky sometimes so if you have any difficulty have a look at the FAQs here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John. I did actually find the serial number after I sent this request. The number indicates the piano was made in 1925. I didn't know it was this old, so I'm suitably impressed that we never gave it away and that it is now a feature in my own home.Regards,
Ged
Hello Ged,
I am pleased that you have now located the serial number and have been able to date your piano to 1925.
Would you like me to continue with this appraisal and give you a value for your piano?
Hello again Ged. I see that you have viewed my reply but you have not confirmed if you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation. Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, sorry for the delay John. I would like to get the appraisal, that would be great. What do you need from me?
Thanks for your message Ged. Has the piano been regularly tuned and maintained. Do you know if any of the internal mechanics have been restored or replaced over the years or is it all still as originally built. I can assess this if you are able to send me some pictures of your piano from outside and, particularly inside with the various covering boards removed. Please attach pictures to the reply section on here using the paperclip on the menu bar. It can be a bit tricky sometimes so if you have any difficulty have a look at the FAQs here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert Thank you.
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Ged.
If you would like me to continue this question for you, I can give you a general idea of the value without the pictures if you could tell me if the internal mechanics are all original as far as you know and if it has been regularly tuned please.
Thank you.