Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

We have an old italian violin that I believe was made by dom

Customer Question

We have an old italian violin that I believe was made by dom nicolo amati in around 1715. It is in mint condition. I am wondering how much it is worth to carry the right amount of insurance on it.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with this. Please tell me the exact wording on the label in the violin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The label inside the violin says: Alexander Gaglianus
me facit Neapoli
#865It has been authenticated by John & Arthur Beare from London UK to be made by Don Nicolo Amati, Bologna c. 1715-1720
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was purchased from Claire Givens Violins from Minneapolis, Mn 55403
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been too busy with other duties.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Did the Beares authenticate it as an Amato or as a Gagliano instrument?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Amato
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Why would it have a Gagliano label in it? Don Nicolo Amati was not known to have copied other people's work, and the wording on this label does not match his labels.