twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

My mother has an antiques in playing condition. It

Customer Question

My mother has an antiques in playing condition. It has not been refinished but it has been cleaned and tuned. It has a number scribed inside #7763. It is made by Brooklyn Piano Company, Trademark London, James Dace Colchester.
Thanks,
Terri
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Terri,My name is ***** ***** I am here to help you with this question. Is this a grand or upright piano? Does it need refinishing? Any flaws? Has it had any internal restoration?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an upright with burley wood, ivory keys and brass candle stcks. It has not been refinished. It has been professionally cleaned and tuned. The back of the piano has a fabric dust cover. It is in playing condition.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this information, Terri. I just need a bit more.

Does the piano need refinishing? Has it had any internal restoration? It is an old piano, and the parts wear out over time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does not need restoration. When it was tuned the piano tuners cleaned the strings and oiled the wood. The tuner said it was in good shape and it was in playable shape. They said it would need to be tuned again after it had been played for a while.

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Terri!

James Dace was the retailer of this piano, not the maker. They do not maintain an archive, which is most likely why you haven't heard back from them.By 1930, Colchester was their only location, so your piano is most likely from that era. The Brooklyn Piano Company was a minor manufacturer.

If your piano is in very good working and cosmetic condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $2,000.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Terri. If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Teresa,
I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.