Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

My parents have a Chickering Baby Grand Piano. What is its value?

My parents have a Chickering Baby Grand Piano. How can I determine its value?

Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question!

Can you provide the serial number and tell me about its condition?

How often is it tuned and has it ever had any major work done?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The piano was purchased by my parents in probably 1960 (+-) from the Winter Piano Co in Erie, PA. It was used during those dreadful years when my parents forced my sister, brother and I to take lessons. Since I'm 60 years old, it gives you an idea on use. Probably not played in 40-50 years. My mother had it finished in an antique white in about 1975. Where is the serial number located?

It should be on the iron frame inside the piano, near the tuning pins. But if it was new around 1960 I can use that age if you would like.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Let me get the serial number. Their house is within walking distance of mine. Knowing my mother, I doubt if it was used when she purchased it, but never know. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, I simply cannot read the first couple of numbers. I "think" the number is ***** but it could be 23,500. Sorry, that's the best I can do. Whatever you can suggest from what I gave you would be great.

Thanks, again.

Ok, that number would actually date it to pre-1900. Is there a chance you left off a number and it's six digits long? If you are pretty sure of the age I can just go with that if you'd like.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can only see five digits, but even the first and second digit is really poor. There could easily be a sixth digit. I just can't make anything else out.

Ok, I can go with the date of 1960. Chickering pianos used to be very high quality instruments but in 1908 ownership changed and so did quality. Based on the condition you describe, the age and the current piano market your Chickering piano would be valued at approximately $3,800-$4,600 in a private sale.

Best wishes!