Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have an upright piano. Inside the top lid is an oval decal

I have an upright piano. Inside the top lid is an oval decal that says,"Ausgezaichnet mit Sliberner Goldener. Medaille anlasslich der Internationalen Musikausstellungen Rotterdam 1909 Turin 1923" Inside on the back is engraved Bogs & Voigt, and what appears to be a serial number label with 53988 on it. Above the keyboard, below the music holder shelf is a plaque that says Bogs & Voigt Kaiserl. Oesterr. u. Konigl. Span. Hoflieferanfell.

What can you tell me about it?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 6 years ago.
Hi, what sort of information are you looking for? We primarily help with valuation of your piano.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Some history, and the value please.
Thanks for your reply. There is little information about this company, Bogs & Voigt. You've probably already found that they were established in 1905 in Berlin. This period around the turn of the century was the biggest period for piano production throughout the world. Piano companies sprung up out of nowhere and today most of them are long gone. This is one of those companies that lasted a few decades and went away. Simply due to age there won't be much value to this piano. Pianos do not appreciate in value with age, they depreciate heavily without restoration. Without seeing it and knowing mechanical condition it is difficult to say exactly, but considering the piano market, these types of pianos and the common poor condition of a piano this old you're likely to see only a couple of hundred dollars for it if it is in otherwise excellent condition. Truth is there are just way too many old uprights out there and most are in bad condition (the outside of the piano does not describe condition) and this keeps the prices low. I hope this helps and I wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me the approximate age based on the serial number 53988?
I checked all my materials and searched some other sites and apparently there are no records for this company. That said, with the date 1923 on it and knowing they went out of business around 1930 at least we can narrow it down to those seven years between 1923-1930 as a likely age.