How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F. Naz Your Own Question
F. Naz
F. Naz, B.Com
Category: Multiple Problems
Satisfied Customers: 5319
Experience:  have completed B.Com and CA Finalist
Type Your Multiple Problems Question Here...
F. Naz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is in reference to Stocks and US taxes. One of

Customer Question

My question is in reference to Stocks and US taxes. One of the companies that I own filed chapter 11 this year which has been completed. I had approximately 201,000 stock that cost me around $350,000 and now I own 745 stock that shows a value of $1900. My Stock account show $334,000 of unrealized loss, will this show as realized loss at the end of the year or do I have to actually sale the remainder of the stock to show the loss? Will I be able to claim this loss? Please advise me on what I should do? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  F. Naz replied 1 year ago.

By what time do you need the answer, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2-3 days please
Expert:  F. Naz replied 1 year ago.

The value of 200255 (201000-745) has become worthless therefore it may be claimed as capital loss amounted to 350000/201000*200255 = 348703, as these shares has no value in the stock market or any other market. Please see the following link for further details.

Related Multiple Problems Questions